• Hello, Guest!
    Are you passionate about Tribal Wars 2 and like to help your fellow players?
    We currently have open positions for Forum Moderators!

>> Join the Tribal Wars 2 Team now! <<
    We would love to hear from you!

Map of the Top 5

Tokano

Not a Mod
Notice how each dictionary redirects you back to "misspell?" That's because they use common misspellings and other wrong uses of words to redirect people to the correct word they are looking for.

So allow me to teach you why "misspelt" will never be a proper word:
  1. Mis - A French prefix added to words to give them negative connotations. This is to say, that there is something wrong with them. So you are indeed using the correct prefix.
  2. Spelt - An old type of wheat. Typically eaten by health nuts like my mother. It was an old Saxon word that didn't have a context till the 16th century.
  3. Simply shoving a word and prefix together do not make words. Preother enwise dewriting illike nonthis prowould rebe reacceptable.
#RedTribeWillAlwaysConquer

DeletedUser734

Both are valid spellings according to every dictionary I've found?

DeletedUser734

Besides, sorry, but language is a changing thing. Honestly, at this point, even twerking is a word. If I use it in a sentence it conveys meaning the same as any other word. Describing a word as "proper" is meaningless in any context out side of academia. If it looks stupid, but it works, then it isn't stupid. So this is a stupid debate. It's a valid spelling of a word and the correct meaning was conveyed.

Tokano

Not a Mod
Both are valid spellings according to every dictionary I've found?
You're probably one of those people who supports phonetic spelling in schools, aren't you? Just type "misspelt" with spellcheck on and it will underline it in red. That means it's misspelled, mate.

I agree with you that language is supposed to be fluid and an ever changing concept, but spelling isn't language, it's the means by which we put language into a written form. To which you will surely argue that spellings of all sorts of words have changed over the years and that as language changes, so does spelling. That is the part where I would respond that when language changes for the better that is a justifiable argument, but simply ignoring word origin and context to forcibly ram a prefix up against the host word is an abhorrent abuse on language and needs to stop. Spelt is not a bad wheat, after all.

DeletedUser734

Actually I got the red squiggle under misspell and it corrected to misspelt...

Also, if you didnt learn how to spell/read phonetically then how the hell did you learn? I didn't know there was a different method. Did you just memorize a dictionary one day?
And I love that the guy bashing dictionary.com cites the red squiggle.

Tokano

Not a Mod
Let's do this in order:
  1. No you didn't. Lying is no fun.
  2. I absolutely did not learn how to read and write phonetically. My parents would sit there, read books to me, have me read them books, and used words bigger than 4 letters long in conversations with me. I learned to recognize the words in the books based on my memory of my mom or dad reading them aloud to me. If my memory was off, they would correct me and I would learn what the words were that way. So yes, in essence, I did sit down and memorize a dictionary one day.
  3. You do understand that your browser has a dictionary, right? Or did you think it would reference Google for every word you typed and corrected it based on a background Google search process?
  4. Citing the red squiggle was more of a joke to poke fun at dictionary.reference.com and the OxfordDictionaries.com because they hold votes at the end of each year where a popular slang term will make its way into the dictionary. It started as a publicity stunt, but ended up becoming a regular thing.

DeletedUser1179

Gentlemen can we please stick to the subject of the thread. Thank you :)

DeletedUser

Yea, how ota and it's friends make up the top 5 bc they knocked out hug and thier friends

DeletedUser

Yea, how ota and it's friends make up the top 5 bc they knocked out hug and thier friends

So coalition against coalition? Lame.
So OTA's coalition beat HUG's coalition, I'm glad that these worlds are won by coalitions instead of by a single tribe now *cough*RUSSIA us10*cough*, we should have a new ending rankings with new rewards for all the tribes different "friends".

DeletedUser1211

Actually, if you read what it says in the dictionary entry, "misspelt" and "misspelled" are both past/past participle tenses of the word misspell. They are not incorrect. They just don't have their own entries because they are not the main version of the word.

However, if you scroll back up, you'll see that CoBr2 spelled it with one s, not two, which is incorrect anyhow. ;)

Notice how each dictionary redirects you back to "misspell?" That's because they use common misspellings and other wrong uses of words to redirect people to the correct word they are looking for.

So allow me to teach you why "misspelt" will never be a proper word:
  1. Mis - A French prefix added to words to give them negative connotations. This is to say, that there is something wrong with them. So you are indeed using the correct prefix.
  2. Spelt - An old type of wheat. Typically eaten by health nuts like my mother. It was an old Saxon word that didn't have a context till the 16th century.
  3. Simply shoving a word and prefix together do not make words. Preother enwise dewriting illike nonthis prowould rebe reacceptable.
#RedTribeWillAlwaysConquer

DeletedUser

Honestly, more than anything, I'm proud as hell we're winning this world.

Total proof that you can't buy skill in this game. HUG spent an UNGODLY amount of money trying to bolster their less than ideal players (literally crowning their way up to tribe level 43) and they're STILL going to lose. Better players and ultimately better strategy wins out no matter how much money you want to drop.
They crowned to lv 44 on W15 within the first two weeks