• Hello, Guest!
    Are you passionate about Tribal Wars 2 and like to help your fellow players?
    We currently have open positions for Forum Moderators!

>> Join the Tribal Wars 2 Team now! <<
    We would love to hear from you!

Crown Balancing

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

I do honestly think the game has become too Pay to Play rather than a strategic game anymore. I know the Inno developers need the cash, so crowns cannot and should not go away. (I buy crowns as well.) But its the same players on every world dominating the top of the rankings, and most are coiners. Even an inexperienced player could get to the top if they wanted to, because you can do a lot of damage with your wallet. But most players cant afford to buy crowns. Thats why I think there needs to be more balancing.

* Crowns can be used to purchase resources on the market if needed.
* Crowns can be used to cut wait times off building walls and buildings, just like they do now, but instant build would be a feature I would take away. This would return the game back to strategy. More players would lose villages but would have the reward of knowing that the ones they do earn are earned through hard work and patience, dedication, and time.
* Crowns could still be used to purchase Grandmaster, Tacticians, etc.
* Crowns could not be used to instant build armies and defense. Crowns could be used to cut recruit times in half.
* Crowns could still be used to purchase upgrades to weapons and tech upgrades.
* Crowns could be sold and traded amongst players as currency, and tribes could accumulate or hoard crowns in a treasury that could then be sent and traded with other tribes for negotiations. Pay for lost villages, to settle for peace, etc.
* Crowns could be used to participate in games of chance like Gwendolines Game, which would become an everday feature to the game, like the Resource Deposit.

Tokano

Not a Mod
Let me start this off by saying I agree with you that there needs to be a substantial re-balance where crowns are concerned, but that's not very constructive so I'm going to disagree with you in this thread just to push you and your ideas further to see what stands up to scrutiny and what doesn't.
* Crowns can be used to purchase resources on the market if needed.
You started out by saying the game was too P2W and now you want to introduce a system where people can buy resources? That's really the only thing that's been holding people back from having 100 villages on day 1; the inability to purchase resources.
This would need to have severe limitations placed on it, but then, would it even be worth the crowns? Probably not.
* Crowns can be used to cut wait times off building walls and buildings, just like they do now, but instant build would be a feature I would take away. This would return the game back to strategy. More players would lose villages but would have the reward of knowing that the ones they do earn are earned through hard work and patience, dedication, and time.
This idea seems the least likely to me. As you have already said, this game runs on crowns and in the years this game has been out the number 1 reason I have seen people buy crowns is so they can instant finish a church or get their walls to level 20. If you remove their ability to instant finish buildings, you're going to cut into a huge chunk of the profits (or lack thereof) generated by this game.
* Crowns could not be used to instant build armies and defense. Crowns could be used to cut recruit times in half.
I have to fall back on the same argument I just used. 9 times out of 10, when I hear of someone buying crowns it's because they needed to finish something right now. Removing that ability from the game would further impact the profit margin of this game.
* Crowns could be sold and traded amongst players as currency, and tribes could accumulate or hoard crowns in a treasury that could then be sent and traded with other tribes for negotiations. Pay for lost villages, to settle for peace, etc.
I like the idea of crowns being a tradeable currency, they did this in TW1 with premium points, however the rest of your idea falls prey to the same problem we're having with co-op accounts. Instead of co-ops pushing accounts, we'll have entire tribes dedicated to pushing another tribe in exchange for a merge in the future. This would also give rise to extreme bullying with real world consequences since money is involved. It wouldn't be long till players demanded crowns as payment to stop their harassment. However, if these crowns could be distributed within that would be useful as a sort of reward system for those who are exceptional within the tribe.
* Crowns could be used to participate in games of chance like Gwendolines Game, which would become an everday feature to the game, like the Resource Deposit.
The developers (or CM, I'm not sure who controls the prizes) would have to dramatically reduce the prizes involved in Gwendolines Game for this to be feasable. Otherwise it would overshadow the resource deposit in many ways and every village would have Bountiful Harvest or Bountiful Season. This would only widen the gap between players who spend money and those who don't.

DeletedUser

Let me start this off by saying I agree with you that there needs to be a substantial re-balance where crowns are concerned, but that's not very constructive so I'm going to disagree with you in this thread just to push you and your ideas further to see what stands up to scrutiny and what doesn't.

You started out by saying the game was too P2W and now you want to introduce a system where people can buy resources? That's really the only thing that's been holding people back from having 100 villages on day 1; the inability to purchase resources.
This would need to have severe limitations placed on it, but then, would it even be worth the crowns? Probably not.

This idea seems the least likely to me. As you have already said, this game runs on crowns and in the years this game has been out the number 1 reason I have seen people buy crowns is so they can instant finish a church or get their walls to level 20. If you remove their ability to instant finish buildings, you're going to cut into a huge chunk of the profits (or lack thereof) generated by this game.

I have to fall back on the same argument I just used. 9 times out of 10, when I hear of someone buying crowns it's because they needed to finish something right now. Removing that ability from the game would further impact the profit margin of this game.

I like the idea of crowns being a tradeable currency, they did this in TW1 with premium points, however the rest of your idea falls prey to the same problem we're having with co-op accounts. Instead of co-ops pushing accounts, we'll have entire tribes dedicated to pushing another tribe in exchange for a merge in the future. This would also give rise to extreme bullying with real world consequences since money is involved. It wouldn't be long till players demanded crowns as payment to stop their harassment. However, if these crowns could be distributed within that would be useful as a sort of reward system for those who are exceptional within the tribe.

The developers (or CM, I'm not sure who controls the prizes) would have to dramatically reduce the prizes involved in Gwendolines Game for this to be feasable. Otherwise it would overshadow the resource deposit in many ways and every village would have Bountiful Harvest or Bountiful Season. This would only widen the gap between players who spend money and those who don't.
See, this is what I like to see. Constructive criticism to allow us to flesh out these ideas more fully. When coming up with what I wanted to see in terms of crown balancing, I went into with this train of thought: the moderators and developers love crowns, they are trained to encourage the use of them whenever possible because it makes the game profitable (despite the game being advertised as a free to play game to invite people in, like all games on the mobile market, there is a profit motive). Therefore, the moderators and developers are never going to want to balance crown usage, even though the vast majority of the players want to see crown balancing. There are small groups of players who spend a lot to get crowns, but most people who play the game will not pay to play. They will go inactive, and will never come back to play the game again. I would say thats a very large audience that the current state of crown usage is chasing away from the game.

If the majority can get a fair and even trade on the crown controversy, the developers may actually see profits increase, because the free-to-play player may just think a $5 investment is worth it to be on a more fair playing field with the heavy spenders.

Being able to purchase resources with crowns I doubt would lead to 100 villages. It would help the builds, but since the players would still have to invest time in the builds, and only have a limited number of slots, I doubt crowns being used for an "Instant Trade" like feature would result in heavy usage coiners being able to overtake the world more than they do now with their instant builds after farming enough resources. I think it would make players more interested in buying crowns because they know it would cut out the farming times. There could be limitations placed on market purchases, similiar to caps on stock trading or a credit system. You would already be limited anyway by the amount of warehouse space you have. A few tweaks and I think the market crown system could work for everyone.

You remind us that 9 times out of 10, when people purchase crowns its because they want something finished immediately. This is true, but this is the reason why everyone else that does not have the money to buy crowns wants crown balancing in the first place. Its unfair for players to just build walls and armies without any time restrictions placed on them, whereas the devoted but broke player will toil away for hours and days doing everything necessary to build and keep a village running but they dont have the luxury of having instant builds. The whole point of this post is to encourage changes so the crowns are balanced to be fair to everyone, not just the few who can unload their credit card and instantly have a monopoly on power in their area. I think it would encourage players who currently do not crown to purchase small amounts of crowns when needed to get builds going faster. I think that people who spend a lot of money on crowns would STILL purchase crowns because they would still want the reduced time for builds.

The argument being made against my idea is that people who buy crowns simply dont want to wait. They wont purchase crowns to get even a significant time advantage over other players. Instead, they will only buy crowns if it means they have a wholly unfair advantage over everyone around them because they can coin instantly to the point where the game is out of reach. Would those players just quit playing the game altogether if they cant win by paying for the win? I argue that most Tribal Wars 2 players, whether rich or poor, still want to have a challenge, and still want to play fairly. I think restrictions on the instant build and turning it into a time savings plan rather than an instant build plan would still make people happy. It would even the playing field up for the free players as well while still giving a healthy advantage to coiners.

I can also adhere to your adjustment of the crown commodity feature as keeping it within a tribe as a tradeable commodity and premium points system. That is a fair and balanced way to cut down on the possibility of tribes bullying other tribes and players that would, definitely, turn into crown induced blackmail. I could see that happening so you are right about that.

DeletedUser1179

As far as this subject goes, there is two points that I would like to make. First, our moderators are volunteers who are trained to assist players who are having problems with the game. Nothing more, nothing less.

Secondly, players spend money on crowns for various reasons and we are in no position to tell them what they can or can't do with their purchases. Players have the right to spend the crowns they purchase however they see fit.

With that being said, I see no reason to keep this thread open so it will be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.