• Hello, Guest!
    Are you passionate about Tribal Wars 2 and like to help your fellow players?
    We currently have open positions for Forum Moderators!

>> Join the Tribal Wars 2 Team now! <<
    We would love to hear from you!

Looking for Clarification

• Thread starter DeletedUser2967
  • Start date

DeletedUser2967

I've been scouring the forums and came across an official guide to the game created by Jhin, which has a lot of useful information. But, there is a section within this guide that I am looking for clarification for and hope that someone within this community could possibly help me figure this out. Below I will post a quote from within the guide then state exactly what I'm looking for clarification on.

There are three different defensive village compositions that you can go for. This is quite literally just a ratio at which you should recruit the troops and remember, recruit what you need, don’t just overload on one unit type because it’s more convenient due to resource imbalance, unless you are able to accept that it won’t be at all efficient.

The first option is the 7:2:1, where you recruit 7 Spearmen to 2 Heavy Cavalry to 1 Archer. This is quite strong as it can stop most axe/spear combos and some archers are also sitting around to be used against Mounted Archer nukes (they can also be used to defend against Light Cavalry, but Archers are obviously better). Heavy Cavalry itself is good enough to defend against Mounted Archers, but to be entirely honest with you, people often recruit a lot of Mounted Archers late-game due to how cheap it is (low iron cost = very easy to recruit in mass). Archers are simply the most efficient unit to use against that.

The second option is the 4:2 ratio - 4 Spearmen to 2 Heavy Cavalry. This substitutes Archers with more Heavy Cavalry. It’s quite a lot more expensive and you can expect huge iron deficiencies, but I feel like it’s honestly just so comfortable.

And the third option, which does not emphasize use of Heavy Cavalry, is 4:7:3, where you recruit 4 Spearmen to 7 Swordsmen to 3 Archers. This is far less ideal than the other builds but it’s marginally cheaper and can be comfortably used on front lines. It’s also what you should go for in the early-game, before you can afford large amounts of Heavy Cavalry.

I've italicized and highlighted via the color red as to exactly what I'm looking for clarification for. What exactly does he mean by axe/spear combos? I know that axe means Axe Fighters, but what about spear? I thought that Spearmen were only to be used for defensive purposes only. But, within this context it seems that it is being eluded to that Spearmen are being used within an Axe Fighter/Spearmen combo offensively. Could it be referring to a different type of unit? Or, is it actually appropriate to sometimes use Spearmen offensively?

DeletedUser1376

my guess is it was an error and he meant ax cav combos . the extra spears are because heavy cavs while more balanced perform weakest against light cavs . the reason for archers is that ma falls in the middle against hc . HC have the best defense against ax although ax nukes are easier to make . I don't use the ratios he talks about but im not far off of that either

DeletedUser1376

it's also in error in that the best offenses are your pure nukes . in other words pure ax with pally weapon on ax pure light cav with pally weap on light cav and pure ma with pally weap on ma. add in mechs as needed of course to any of these

Tokano

Not a Mod
I've been scouring the forums and came across an official guide to the game created by Jhin, which has a lot of useful information.

Just to clarify on this point alone, Jhin's guide is amazing, but not official. InnoGames, as far as I am aware, would be very hesitant to give their stamp of approval to a document with slurs and excessive vulgarity in it. It's why you'll never see an unedited version of the guide on the forums.

DeletedUser2967

What do slurs or excessive vulgarity have anything to do with the validity of the information provided? I was asking for clarification of a specific part of the guide, which had nothing to do with your view point of the world or how others perceive it.

But, since you are a part of the Tribal Wars 2 Team, what do you think that he meant as far as axe/spear combo? I'd appreciate a response as opposed to your failed attempt at derailing this thread. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tokano

Not a Mod
What do slurs or excessive vulgarity have anything to do with the validity of the information provided? I was asking for clarification of a specific part of the guide, which had nothing to do with your view point of the world or how others perceive it.

But, since you are a part of the Tribal Wars 2 Team, what do you think that he meant as far as axe/spear combo? I'd appreciate a response as opposed to your failed attempt at derailing this thread. :rolleyes:
:rolleyes: It's almost as if I wasn't answering the question because Weldon already answered your question and I was doing my due diligence in correcting your impression that it was an official guide because in 4 years when someone is searching the forums I don't want them to think that this guide is endorsed by Inno.

But since you're dying to hear my opinion... It's likely that he meant LC given that there are only 3 offensive units (not including siege weapons or special units) and so we can go through the process of elimination.
The spears to stop the LC, the HC to stop the axes and the archers to stop the MA's.

Which, if we take a look at what Weldon wrote... Oh.. It matches..... o_O
I didn't see that one coming.