• Hello, Guest!
    Are you passionate about Tribal Wars 2 and like to help your fellow players?
    We currently have open positions for Forum Moderators!

>> Join the Tribal Wars 2 Team now! <<
    We would love to hear from you!

World Clock

DeletedUser1120

I would be really great if a world clock could be implemented somewhere on the screen so everyone can be on the same page concerning time mgmt. Clock would need to be GMT.

Thanks
Jarl

DeletedUser1628

I suggested time stamp bbcodes that automatically adjust to your time zone. That way everyone can be on the same page, but no one has to do any conversions.

DeletedUser1760

Using server time is easier for everyone....If I say the attack hits at 12:00 server time. EVERYONE all over the planet knows when it hits, not having to worry about time zones or fluctuation caused by daylight savings time and countries who don't switch to daylight savings time. One clock - One world.
It is the world we are fighting in...it should have its own time...and that time for the sake of INNO's programmers is easiest if they use the server time.

DeletedUser920

I have been asking for it as well, I hope they do add a clock to the game, if they do it may also be able to add the night bonus back to the US servers.

DeletedUser1628

Using server time is easier for everyone....If I say the attack hits at 12:00 server time. EVERYONE all over the planet knows when it hits, not having to worry about time zones or fluctuation caused by daylight savings time and countries who don't switch to daylight savings time. One clock - One world.
It is the world we are fighting in...it should have its own time...and that time for the sake of INNO's programmers is easiest if they use the server time.

How is having a server time that you calculate better than having BBCode Timestamps that update to the user's time zone automatically? It's 2016 for goodness sake! The programmers don't need a server time, there's no benefit to the user by the game having such. Anyone should simply be able to set up their time zone in the settings, enter a time like they would any url, player, tribe or village, but with numbers and A.M./P.M., and then it automatically gets calculated when other users see it to whatever is set up in their settings (And of course with a dropdown/expandable option to add a date so that it would be possible to do ops between time zones). No reason to make things more complicated when you have computers to do very simple math for you.

DeletedUser1760

"How is having a server time that you calculate better than having BBCode Timestamps that update to the user's time zone automatically? It's 2016 for goodness sake!"
Because the more you complicate the code, the easier it is to have a bug.....A single time stamp, that every person who logs into the sever connection sees and knows that every other person on the planet sees...is simple to implement and easy to understand.
Complicated is having to have an algorithm for EVERY time zone, EVERY time change.....one time, one world, and using the server time (You may call it world time) is just simpler...the KISS method.
It would simply be that worlds time.

DeletedUser1628

Because the more you complicate the code, the easier it is to have a bug.....A single time stamp, that every person who logs into the sever connection sees and knows that every other person on the planet sees...is simple to implement and easy to understand.
Complicated is having to have an algorithm for EVERY time zone, EVERY time change.....one time, one world, and using the server time (You may call it world time) is just simpler...the KISS method.
It would simply be that worlds time.

Listen, maybe you code too, but I also program games for a living, it's super easy to create the solution to this feature without any bugs as long as you have enough people check to make sure each timezone adds or subtracts the right amount of hours. It's not a logic bug, it would be a bug of simple human error that's very easy to test in a beta and probably the easiest kind of bug to fix on the fly and in the shortest amount of time. Complicated or complex bugs and game mechanics that have a lot of moving parts are the cause for the kinds of bugs you're thinking about, this isn't the same thing at all.

Anyway if they wanted to implement a unique server time they would have done it by now because they already have an internal server time they use to calculate everything that goes on in the game, if they didn't have one nothing in the game would be able to interact with each other. Unless there's something I'm not seeing, the only reason they're not doing a server time is because the designers (as well as many players) prefer the current experience of having the correct times show up when attacking etc.

Trust me though, this is a design choice, not a programming one. Can't blame the engineers on this one because it's way to simple to implement. If the designers see something they like, it'll go into the game within a few months since it would quite simple to implement (or however long their feature from prototype to alpha, beta, and launch cycle takes).

DeletedUser

A clock is really easy to code, I imagine there exists already APIs online for it, that you don't need to do any actually code but displaying it.

And this current system can't be much more difficult, taking a system local time and calculating off of it instead of a single server time.

Furthermore, looking into this I found computers set to the same time server still had seconds off of each other (Which any tw2 player will tell you are important)

DeletedUser1628

A clock is really easy to code, I imagine there exists already APIs online for it, that you don't need to do any actually code but displaying it.

And this current system can't be much more difficult, taking a system local time and calculating off of it instead of a single server time.

Furthermore, looking into this I found computers set to the same time server still had seconds off of each other (Which any tw2 player will tell you are important)

Very true, technically you do not even need a server time for BBCodes, the client could just render the image based on input from other players. But like you said, (and while this may be a slightly tangent issue) people are off by seconds currently, and there should be a built in system so people can all be synced with a server time, whether that means showing time in game based off of it, or having a separate program to sync your clock to Inno's clock.